What was DMX's net worth in 2021?
6 April 2021, 17:35 | Updated: 9 April 2021, 17:52
How did the rapper make his money? Here's everything we know about DMX's net worth in 2021.
DMX has passed away at the age of 50 following a heart attack earlier this month.
According to a statement from his family, he died today (Fri 9 April) at White Plains Hospital in New York after being on life support for the past few days.
The world-renowned rapper - whose real name was Earl Simmons - majorly contributed to Hip-Hip music and culture, and has had a prolific career over the last few decades.
"Earl was a warrior who fought till the very end. He loved his family with all of his heart and we cherish the times we spent with him. Earl's music inspired countless fans across the world and his iconic legacy will live on forever. We appreciate all of the love and support during this incredibly difficult time," reads the statement.
DMX was hospitalised on April 2 in critical condition following a heart attack at his home that potentially resulted from an overdose.
What is DMX's net worth in 2021?
DMX, who had previously been entangled in legal and financial problems, reportedly had a net worth of negative $1million in 2021.
Simmons' career took off in the 1990's, but over the years, he had been arrested multiple times, including for tax fraud, drug possession and animal cruelty.
The late rapper filed for bankruptcy in a Manhattan court back in 2013, according to Celebrity Net Worth.
In 2018, DMX was sentenced to one year in prison after he pleaded guilty in a federal case, where he was accused of dodging $1.7million in taxes.
US District Judge Jed Rakoff said he believed Simmons was “a good man” revealing why he gave less than the five years sought by the prosecutors in the case.
The judge did say despite him being a good man, his crime "cannot go unpunished”. Simmons remained sorry for having failed to pay taxes.
Simmons' lawyer also played part of his 1998 song 'Slippin in the courtroom', which described difficulties he has faced with the law.
“They put me in a situation forcing me to be a man/ When I was just learning to stand without a helping hand,” Simmons raps in the song.
Prosecutors said Simmons' avoided paying his taxes between 2000 to 2005 by moving money to different accounts, which belonged to his managers and associates.
He also was accused of hiding millions of dollars he earned from his hit songs.
It is also reported that DMX's financial problems also stem from the fact that he reportedly has 15 children.
How did DMX make money?
According to All Music, DMX became the "undisputed reigning king of hardcore rap" following the deaths of Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G.
DMX shocked the hip-hop community with his debut album 'It’s Dark and Hell is Hot' in 1998. The album reportedly sold 251,000 copies within its first week of release.
He then went onto release his best-selling album '...And Then There Was X' in 1999.
According to Encyclopedia, his "albums reached number one on the Billboard charts in their first week, making DMX the first recording artist in music history to have his first two albums reach number one within a year".
The rapper had 12 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 between 1999 and 2003, including 'Ruff Ryders Anthem' and 'Party Up (Up in Here)'
The rapper also made appearances in several movies. According to IMDB, he has starred in;
- Doggmen (filming)
- Fast Vengeance (post-production)
- Chronicle of a Serial Killer
- Detective White
- Fast and Fierce: Death Race
- Beyond the Law
- Detective Ray Munce
- Godfather of Harlem: Just in Case Feat. Swizz Beatz, Rick Ross, DMX (Video short)
- Bhad Bhabie Feat. Kodak Black: Bestie (Video short)
- Midnight John
- The After Party
- Fresh Off the Boat (TV Series)
- We Done Son
- Top Five
- The Bleeding
- Jump Out Boys
- Lockjaw: Rise of the Kulev Serpent (Video)
- Last Hour
- Death Toll
- The Dog
- Father of Lies (Video)
- Busta Rhymes Feat. Mary J. Blige, Rah Digga, Missy Elliott, Lloyd Banks, Papoose, & DMX: Touch It, Remix (Video short)
- Never Die Alone
- DMX: X Gon' Give It to Ya (Video short)
- Third Watch (TV Series)
- Eve (TV Series)
- Def Jam Vendetta (Video game)
- Cradle 2 the Grave
- Aaliyah: Miss you (Video short)
- DMX: Who We Be (Video short)
- DMX: No Sunshine (Video short)
- Exit Wounds
- Aaliyah feat DMX: Come Back in One Piece (Video short)
- DMX: Party Up, Up in Here (Video short)
- Boricua’s Bond
- Romeo Must Die
- DMX: Ruff Ryders’ Anthem (Video short)
- DMX: Slippin’ (Video short)
- DMX feat. Faith Evans: How’s It Goin’ Down (Video short)
- DMX feat. Method Man, Nas, Ja Rule: Grand Finale (Video short)
South Park (TV Series)
- The Lox feat. DMX & Lil’ Kim: Money, Power & Respect (Video short)
- Ice Cube feat. DMX & DJ Clark Kent: We Be Clubbin’ Remix (Video short0
Onyx: Shut ‘em Down (Video short)
- LL Cool J feat. Method Man, Redman & DMX (Video short)
- Eyes on Hip Hop (Video)