11 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Drake's 'One Dance'
18th August 2016, 12:40
Everything you need to know.
Drake has completely taken over Summer '16 with his huge single 'One Dance’, featuring Wizkid and Kyla. It may even be your song of the year so far.
But with the official video just around the corner, it’s time to get behind the scenes and get explore the method behind the magic.
We’re here to help you get clued up with everything you’ll ever need to know about ‘One Dance’.
Check out all the important facts below:
1. Drake used six different writers on the song.
Drake gave writing credits to six other people on 'One Dance' including Kyla, Crazy Cousinz (Errol Reid and Luke Reid), Wiz Kid, Noah '40' Shebib and Nineteen85.
2. Kyla thought 'One Dance' was an April Fools joke.
Speaking to Pitchfork, Kyla revealed that she thought the whole thing was fake! Her record label reportedly told her Drake wanted to sample her song and she didn't believe it until she actually signed legal documents.
3. 'One Dance' was Drake's first ever solo UK number one.
Despite being the biggest rapper in Hip Hop, Drake had to wait four albums to achieve his first ever UK number 1 as a lead artist. He previously topped the charts alongside Rihanna with 'What's My Name'.
4. And it was the longest running UK Number one for 22 years!
'One Dance' topped the charts for an astonishing 15 weeks! Eventually being toppled by Major Lazer and Justin Bieber's song 'Cold Water'.
5. Drizzy shot the official music video in South Africa.
Drake was recently spotted shooting the video in South Africa alongside Popcaan, although he was controversially removed from the album version of 'Controlla'. The visuals are likely to appear on Drake's upcoming visual project 'Please Forgive Me'.
6. Grime DJ Logan Sama was influential in the making of 'One Dance'.
8. The song is actually Drake's second official collaboration with Wiz Kid.
Drake linked up with Wiz Kid and Skepta last year on a remix of his Afrobeats single 'Ojuelegba'.
9. Drake rushed out the song's release because of hacking.
Speaking to Pitchfork, Kyla revealed that she wasn't given time to listen to the final version of the song because of Drake being hacked. After playing the song over the phone, they told her: "Let's run with this version, there's no time for recording it or anything like that. We're getting hacked left, right, and centre."
10. Justin Bieber jumped on the unofficial remix.
Fellow Canadian Justin Bieber is clearly a fan and added some smooth vocals over the Afrobeats-inspired track. But although the song was premiered on Drake's OVO Sound Radio, it never got an official release.
11. Drake recorded a special dubplate version of 'One Dance' for Popcaan.
Popcaan shut down this year's Red Bull Culture Clash in London when he pressed play on a special dubplate version on the song. Drizzy altered some of the lyrics to take shots at rival teams in the clash.